The goals for the development of the Westinghouse District for DMI include the following:
- To improve the appearance and stability of the commercial and residential buildings
- To restore existing historic housing and commercial stock
- To encourage infill housing and commercial development that is compatible with existing structures
- To improve and create green space throughout the neighborhood
- To market the neighborhood throughout the City
- To establish increased connectivity between neighborhood development and downtown retail and neighborhood housing
- To recruit new business that compliments that existing business mix
Education is an undisputed tool for social development. Through all of DMI's programs, an emphasis is placed on educational tools, including correspondence, workshops, resources and technical assistance. The following is a list of the methods in which DMI can implement positive change in industrial and residential areas:
Advocacy for property owners involved in revitalizing their neighborhood. The goals of this project include making the current property owners involved in their neighborhood and be partners in development.
The results of this ongoing project are current through an 18 month timeline:
Advocated for property owners involved in revitalizing the district.